THIS ROLE HAS AN ANTICIPATED END-DATE OF 12/31/2024
The Department of Objects Conservation is responsible for the conservation and mounting/installation of three-dimensional art at the Museum’s three venues. The scope of the Objects Conservation’s mission-critical responsibilities extends to every curatorial department and all of the Museum’s collections-based activities, including acquisitions, deaccessioning, exhibitions, capital projects, scholarly research, etc. The substantial scope of work includes over 7,000 completed object requests annually and the variation in scale ranges from single beads to historic interiors and architectural stone elements embedded in the Museum’s buildings.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
The Metropolitan Museum of Art is renovating its Michael C. Rockefeller Wing, which houses preeminent collections from three distinct areas: sub-Saharan Africa, Oceania, and the ancient Americas (MCRW). These collections consist of over 12,000 archaeological and historic works of art, in a range of organic and inorganic media including wood sculptures with complex surface designs, composite fiber objects, fragile archaeological metals, and numerous objects with historic repairs.
The architectural firm wHY in collaboration with MCRW staff has developed a dynamic design to display approximately 2,000 works of art within the newly renovated 40,000 square foot gallery space. This project requires a complete gallery deinstallation, a renovation and reorganization of permanent storage locations, updates to structural and mechanical features, and reinstallation in the renovated space. The project will include the temporary and permanent relocation of approximately 5,000 works of art within the institution.
The Assistant/Associate Conservation Preparator is responsible for the design and manufacture of mounts and for the installation of objects exhibited in the renovated MCRW galleries or as part of external loans.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
· Safely and properly handle objects
· Design and fabricate supporting mounts for objects
· Install objects in renovated MCRW galleries both inside cases and on gallery walls or pedestals
· Liaise with designers, conservators, conservation preparators, curators, technicians, Buildings staff, and outside companies as necessary
· Participate in departmental fundraising activities
· Other duties as assigned
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS:
Fully vaccinated with an FDA or WHO authorized vaccine (or approved for an exemption as a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, sincerely held religious belief, or pregnancy, or because you are a victim of domestic violence, stalking, or sex offenses).
Experience and Skills:
· Skill and experience in a variety of metalworking and fabrication techniques including cold working and hard soldering of brass with an air-acetylene torch preferred. Use of the lathe and other machine-shop tool operations preferred
· Studio art skills in a variety of materials preferred
· Minimum of two years’ experience as a mount maker/preparator preferred
· Excellent communication skills required
· Demonstrated ability to thrive in a team environment and anticipate the n